Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Renewed Love for Jazz

I am addicted to iTunes.

There: I said it. The first step toward recovery is admitting ones' addictions. I have many addictions, but iTunes is, by far, the most severe right now. For a while, I was addicted to World of Warcraft, buying woodworking tools, flying airplanes, but these addictions have mostly subsided. Of course, as we all know, addictions don't disappear, but they do recede and fade. I don't think my addiction to iTunes will fade quickly. There's just too much music out there that needs to be explored, and now that I'm not working 70 hour weeks, I have way too much idle time on my hands--a dangerous thing for any confessed (or otherwise) addict.

Right now, I'm listening to some truly outstanding jazz of Scandinavian origin (Denmark, Sweden, etc.); artists such as E.S.T., People Are Machines, Phronesis, Jazz Kamikaze, and others. Who knew that Scandinavia would be an exporter of awesome, straight-up and honest jazz? I should have known: I was intimately involved in the NYC jazz scene in the 90s; I just kind of lost touch. But my interest has gone from practically dormant to "on fire" in just about no time at all. This new-found interest in an old love has also awakened other feelings.

I have spent too much work time reminiscing about my musical past and thinking about ways in which I can once again make music and play. Sadly, I'm just not up to the task physically anymore (damn arthritis). This is a shame, for I was once a very good drummer and an excellent dog-house bass player. I would love to take up bass again, but I have way too many instruments as it is, and I think that if I were to come home with a new bass, or worse, a drum set, Emily would make me move into my workshop with the spiders. (Don't worry honey, I won't entertain that fantasy.) She's lucky, though, because more often than not these days, men my age are usually interested in re-living their 20s by buying fast red cars, and hooking up with loose young women. A bass or a drum set is hardly threatening when you think about it!

That's all for now. Back to iTunes surfing and daydreaming about jazz.

Peace.

~David

No comments: