Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Today it was hard not to think about those loved ones that are no longer with me.  Even though they aren't here with me, I still feel their influence on my life.  My life is better for having known them, and I cherish the time I had with each of them.

Today was also our last full day in Nebraska.  We have an early flight out tomorrow, which I am not looking forward to.  I am looking forward to being home, and seeing out kitty (who I am sure believes we have been eaten by the huge silver beast we disappeared into).

We spent the morning at the farm.  Some family had was already departing.  My parents had moved on to see one of my Mom's friends.  One of my cousins and his family had left before we arrived.  So it was a smaller group at the farm this morning.  It was nice to sit around the kitchen table (which is always too small for the group that wants to be there-regardless of the house/kitchen) and share stories and joke about things that have come to pass.  For example, the number of fires that have occurred on the farm since my Uncle took over was a great topic this morning.  The number of fires that occurred started out at 3 and was quickly corrected to almost 10 with the help of my Aunts.  And then, as if to tempt fate, my uncle starts a bonfire so we can roast hotdogs, and walks away from it.  We had to tease him about that the rest of the day.  As far as I know the fire did as it was supposed to (although we did leave before it was completely out).  We made the farewells, which is always hard because the time goes so fast and it's hard to leave knowing it may be a year or two before I see some of my family again, and with things that have happened to family in the last few years you just never know what may happen in a year.  

This evening we had dinner at my Uncle Ralph's house.  My Aunt Verda and Uncle Ron were there; they are staying the night before they continue their journey.  So we had a lovely home cooked diner with the three of them.   This was the first time David has seen Uncle Ralph's house, so it was nice that we could visit.  It was also nice to spend time with them in a smaller, quieter setting.  It was a lovely evening, that leaves me looking forward to the next encounter.

Now, I am trying to figure out how I am going to get to sleep so I'm not a grumpy zombie pain in the butt tomorrow.  At least I can sort of sleep on the plane (I love my iphone).  

I'm sure I'll have more to say once I'm back home in my comfy chair with my cat glaring at the computer because she wants to be in my lap.  It was a good couple of days, and I know without a doubt how much my David loves me. 

~Emily

No comments: