Saturday, May 10, 2008

It Just Works

Thus far, my experience with our new MacBooks has been amazingly positive. I honestly believe, now, that Apple is light years ahead of MicroSoft when it comes to design and, more importantly, implementation. Everything just works.

On Thursday, I had our Airport Extreme set up in about a minute; and about two minutes later, our MBs were connected and surfing the Internet. No fuss, no bother, it just worked.

Friday, I spent some time researching printers. I wanted a black and white laser printer (toner cartridges don't dry out) and I wanted one that would work with minimal fuss and bother. I read a ton of reviews and I finally settled on a Brother HL-2170W--a network ready, no-fuss-no-bother printer. The reviews all said plainly this: "It just works." And you know what? It really does just work. I connected it up to the Airport via USB, downloaded the driver from their website, and in mere minutes, both of our MBs were printing to the device. This stuff really is plug and play. Microsoft loves to talk about plug and play, but Apple walks the walk.

We also installed our favorite game (World of Warcraft) on our MBs, and it works swimmingly. The display is gorgeous and I don't see any limitation of playing on the MB vs. playing on the PC. Naturally, the wireless probably isn't the right way to go for raiding--it's latency characteristics are inferior to a direct Ethernet connection, but we're still getting 50fps via the Airport. Nice! It just works.

So, for now, both of our PCs are powered off and I can't really see myself using it much now. I just love my Mac.

~David

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am a happy lady. I love it when things just work. Fire bad. Tree pretty.