Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Gosh... wouldn't it be cool...

I am a software engineer. I studied mathematics and computer science in college and then graduate school, but these days, I rarely use my hard-won, mad mathematicz and programming skillz. In fact, I haven't written a C program in probably eight years, and I really miss it. The work I do today has little (if anything) to do with engineering and is, in fact, boring as all hell. I need a change.

Now that I have a Mac(Book) and an iPhone, I thought it would be cool to learn how to write applications for the iPhone. So I registered with Apple and downloaded the SDK. (I also registered as a Mac developer just for giggles.) I wrote my first program: the obligatory "Hello, World!" program. Wow... that was fun! :)

So now I'm thinking: Gosh... wouldn't it be cool to write iPhone applications for a living? It would; and with over $100M available in capital from just one vulture capitalist, I'm sure it will be a bit of a booming industry. Not booming in the Web 2.0 sense, but I think there will be demand for knowledgeable programmers. I've already decided what to do for my first application: I'll write a virtual labyrinth game. There's already one out there, but I'll develop my own anyway, just for fun.

Peace.

~David

1 comment:

Emily said...

I have no doubt you can come up with something incredibly cool! You are very smart, I would be lost without you!