Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Six Feet Under-Concluded

Last night was the night I have been looking forward to and dreading; I came to the end of Six Feet Under.  The show, which ran on HBO for five seasons, had the best season finale I have seen.  I’m going to try not to give specific details, so hopefully this won’t be a spoiler for anyone (but there may be a few-sorry).

The fifth season was a pretty rough season.  There were threads and elements from the previous seasons that had to be dealt with, and some of those things were pretty emotional.  There were some choices I had a hard time with the characters making, and some people ended up not being people I liked as much.  That sounds like a negative, but having them go down the paths they did made them seem like real people and like choices people like them would have made.  It didn't stop me from wishing I could 
take them aside and ask them what the f--k they were thinking.  And I just have to say, I wish someone would have slapped Ruth (Fisher Matriarch), at least once.  Her character had a good heart, for the most part, but was so emotional and irrational that I think a slap per episode would be a fair request.  

So everyone has followed these crazy paths and the finale brings everyone to where they need to be.  This family you have followed for five seasons finally pulls together and you feel good about that (love them or hate them).  This is where most shows would just end things.  Alan Ball (writer and director) has one more thing up his sleeve.  

All but maybe two episodes start with someone dying (a stranger, who is ultimately cared for and buried by Fisher & Sons). The finale didn't start that way, it ended that way. The last five minutes (give or take) gave you a flash of the main characters lives going forward until death. It sucks to see characters you have become attached to die, but the way it was done you get closure in the sense that you see they had a life and how it ended. These were brief flashes, as there are several characters, but it was enough that I felt satisfied with how things turned out for all of them. It was also nice to have a sense of things being done, no cliffhangers, no wondering what if and definitely no hope for another season or movie. It ended perfectly.

No comments: