Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pharmacy Rage

This is something I feel probably 7 out of 10 times when I go to our pharmacy.
If by personal they mean waiting in line
only to be cut in front of repeatedly
until you are the only remaining
person who needs help then
yes I agree with this.
What should happen:
In and out-happy camper
I phone in the prescriptions the morning of the day I want to go in and pick them up, usually between 5:30 and 6:30 in the morning.  I go through the whole automated system where I have to select 1 to refill a prescription and I have the prescription number.  Than I have to go through and enter the prescription number for each prescription I want to fill (and I have to listen to the confirmation each time I input a number) and then I tell it when I want to pick it up (usually after 2pm that same day) and then I go about my business.  At the end of the day on my way home (usually after 4:30pm) I swing in to pick up the prescription I phoned in that morning.  I don't have to stand around and wait long because I have phoned in my prescription, no one cuts in front of me because there is no reason to.  I'm just in and out.  Sounds nice huh?

What actually happens (using today as my specific example):
I phoned in the prescription around 6:30 this morning, there were 4 of them and a lot of numbers to be entered.  I went about my day (tra la la) and on my way home I stopped at the pharmacy to run in and get the prescriptions.  There was a bit of a line, so I joined and waited for my turn.  I was next up, and then they called up two people who had been waiting, and of course they cut in front of me.  While they were processing those people, and as I was anticipating my turn, they called up two other people waiting, who also cut in front of me.  Really?  Yup.  Finally, it's my turn and I'm moderately irritated.  I give the name and tell her there could be anywhere from 2 to 4 prescriptions, and she went to look.  There was nothing there for me.  This is where is just gets fun.

Clerk:  There's nothing here for you, let me check the back.
Me:  Okay.  (then I wait what feels like 3 minutes but it was probably only 1)
Clerk:  I'm not seeing anything for you.
Me:  I phoned in 4 prescriptions this morning and they were supposed to be ready after 2 today.
Clerk: Okay, are you sure you phoned them me?
Me-at the pharmacy
Me:  (I'm pretty sure I had an are you f-ing kidding me face at this point)  Yes, I'm pretty sure I did.  Unless I had a dream I phoned in 4 prescriptions this morning, and had the fun of having to re-enter one of the prescriptions a few times because I kept switching the numbers around.  I guess it's possible it was all just a dream.  (Now she is getting my seething pissed face, she is just staring at me)  Yes.  I.  Phoned.  Them.  In.
Clerk:  (She's still just looking at me)  Um, okay.  Let me look again.
Me:  Thank.  You.
Clerk:  It looks like your prescriptions were accidentally skipped over...
Me:  (I'm wondering to myself how 4 prescriptions got skipped over) Okay...(and yes I'm still pissed)
Clerk:  If you can wait 15 minutes we can fill those for you.
Me:  I'd rather not, I phone these in for a reason, because I don't want to wait around to have them filled.
Clerk:  It probably won't take 15 minutes.
Me:  Fine.

I got the prescriptions about 15 minutes later.  

I don't understand why it all has to be so complicated.  Why do the people in the store waiting for their prescription get to cut in front of whoever they want?  Is it because their prescription is now done?  I don't just walk in and cut in front of the people waiting in line even though I phoned in my prescriptions and like theirs, mine are done too.  I don't understand what is so hard about telling someone to get back in line.  Just like telling someone in a 9 item or less line that they really should get in another line if they have 24 items.  Bad behavior, or rude behavior, is being tolerated and allowed by the people who are supposed to be standing up for us.  I know it seems stupid and petty, but somewhere someone like me is going snap over something small like this.  Where I might just pitch a fit and turn into that angry yellow guy and blog about it, someone else might do something dangerous.  I just don't see anything changing.  Maybe I'd have better luck at a different pharmacy.  Somehow I doubt it.  

No comments: