Friday, March 27, 2009

Ooo...Monkeys!

Last night I had a girls night out with my friend Carrie and her Sara and Sara's friend Carrie.  We had dinenr at the Rock Bottom Brewery, visited Nordstrom's Rack and saw Wicked.

Wicked was awesome!  I was not sure what to expect; this was my first Broadway Musical experience.  I was pretty much sucked into the show right from the start.  Carrie's comment "Ooo... monkeys!" as they climbed up the sides of the set had me giggling the rest of the night.  The music was catchy and fun.  The sets were colorful and ever changing-it was almost as much fun to watch the sets move around as it was to watch the cast dance around!  The costumes were colorful and exactly what I envisoned they should be.  The story was whimsical, and clever.  Wicked is the story about how the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch become the characters we know in the Wizard of Oz.  I love stories that are a spin-off or side story to an already popular story.  I can't wait to get my hands on all the Wicked books by Gregory Maguire.  It was certainly a magical experience, and I'm so thankful (Carrie-you rock for making last night happen!) I was able to go.  I can't wait for the next show!  

Of course, I have to take a moment and devote some of this to reviewing the viewers that were sitting around us.  Sara and her friend Carrie had a super leaner-who kept leaning back and invading their space.  They also had a constant giggler, who giggled loudly through most of the show.  Sitting next to my friend Carrie were a couple of girls who were incapable of sitting still or being quiet for more than five minutes.  One kept being loud with her water bottle, and finally one of the viewers in front of her turned around and told her to be quiet.  The girl sitting next to Carrie, who was wearing pajama pants with a tutu on top-and all in pink, kept crinkling paper.  I was ready for one of us to lean over and take away her paper.  The people infront of Carrie and I all looked like they went to the same hair dresser.  They were all about taking pictures of themselves at the show, and spent at least 15 minutes in different poses.  There will hopefully be one picture of them that as an extra finger in it-Carrie, that is going to be my new favorite game.  You ROCK!  The guy behind me would repeat random lines.  If any of you have seen the movie "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow, think of the part where Miss Bates is telling Emma about a happy little porker they were enjoying and repeats (loudly and for emphasis) random words like "PORK!"  This guy was giving the full sentence, but it had the seem effect.  Despite the cast of characters around us, we still had a great time! :)

~Emily

No comments: