Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day 2-Colonial Williamsburg!

I am so excited to finally be here!  After sleeping in probably more than we should have, and having a bit of a hard time finding what we wanted for breakfast we got sorted out and started enjoying our day! We took about 119 pictures today and I love them all.  My plan is to blog all the ones shareable, but it may take a few posts.  So I'll have some general pictures in this post and then I'll do one with the Governor's Palace, and maybe another random one.  At any rate, enjoy!

We thought this said "Severus" so I had to take a picture.

I like the details on the buildings, like this little guy nicely holding the shutter in place.

One of many cute little gardens we saw.

A cute little home.

A cute little squirrel-they were everywhere!

Wheelwright sign.  Read here if you want to learn more about the wheelwright trade.

I just liked the door.

Wagon and wheels that were made by the wheelwrights.

Outside working area at the wheelwright.

Wood and maybe the home where the wheelwright would have lived?

More details-like the way this is held together

I think David told me this was a jack.

Workshop!

More of the workshop-you can see one of the wheelwrights through the open door.

More workshop.

A pretty covered walkway.

 I like the gate.

The Gunsmith.  Read here to learn more about the gunsmith and foundry trade.

This helped make the barrel of the gun-and it is just really cool looking!

Work shop!

A gun in progress.

An anvil (I'm not going to lie, I wanted to hit it with a hammer).

A sharpening stone,

I liked how the bricks are secured together on these steps.

Mens shoemaker.  Read here for more information on the shoemaker trade.

It smelled like good leather in this shop-and it was nice and cozy.  

I asked him how long it took to make a pair of shoes and he told me that it takes more than one person to make a pair of shoes-one person cuts the leather, another does the sewing and another fits it around the form etc. and this team of shoemakers make about 25 pairs a week.  Pretty cool!

Read the next entry for more of our first day!

No comments: