Thursday, March 29, 2012

Six Feet Under

Another show I found on HBO2go is Six Feet Under.  The truth is, what caught my eye is one of the actors in the photo:  Peter Krause!  Peter currently plays Adam Braverman on the show Parenthood (on of my favorite shows, I'll blog about that eventually I'm sure).  Ok, so I started watching it because I wanted to see something else Peter had been in.

The show is a little dark and twisted...I'm into season four and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I can't seem to stop watching it.
The show is about the Fisher family (Nathaniel, Ruth, Nate, David and Claire) and the series starts with a death in the family.  Oh, and handily enough the Fisher business is a family run funeral home, Fisher & Sons.  Nathaniel is killed in a car accident and the family is left to deal with the loss, while running the family business.  The series has been about how they deal with their own loss, helping their clients deal with their loss and trying to live normal lives.  There are reoccurring lover interests and employees that come and go.  Sometimes the content is a little hard to deal with, and it is on HBO so there is often a lot of sex.  Did I mention the younger brother David, played by Michael C. Hall (you may know him as Dexter) is gay as well as being a funeral director?  Each character has something complicated that the need to deal with, but yet I care about each character and hate seeing them going through the hard stuff.  

I don't want to give anything important away because I think it's worth watching.  It's an ookie concept and no one like to be reminded how short life can be.  But I think it's very well done, and I feel like it's not making fun of something serious (loss, death) while keeping it from being too heavy to watch.  I'm not gonna lie, the show makes me think about stuff...

What am I going to do when someone close (spouse, sibling, parent) dies?  I don't know what any one wants funeral wise.  Do any of us have burial plots?  Are we a cremate family?  Who gets to keep the ashes?  Yeah, seriously.  Dark huh?

But then it also makes me think why am I not doing what I want to do (which would be writing more, doing more with my husband/family).  What am I waiting for?  Life really is short.  I don't want to have regrets.  David and I already make sure we don't hold back with the I love yous (you can never say it too much-but I do test that), don't go to bed without making up, and trying to be the friend to those I let in that I want them to be for me.  I don't want to look back and think "I wish I'd told David I loved him more" or "why didn't I tell my sisters how amazing they are, and how proud of them I am?" or thank my parents for all they taught me to make me who I am today.  Six Feet Under was a good reminder about why it's important to think a little dark, like every day could be your last.  

Enough dark.  On the light side, Claire has beautiful red hair that I wish I had and I love scenes of her in the sun because her hair glows and is really pretty!  The family, despite being a little strange and a little cold to strangers looking in, really love on another.  I like it when the show is quirky, and sometimes the deceased talk to the Fisher's, I'm giggling just thinking about some of it!

Ok, you just gotta watch it.  Seriously.  Be prepared to maybe cry once in awhile, but you are going to laugh too.  Like most of the shows I like, it's quirky with just enough of a current in it to feel real and tug at all the emotions.  Good stuff.

1 comment:

Mel :) said...

I love you, too! <3