Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Squirrels vs. Crows

As I am sitting at my desk watching the clock slowly wind its way to 4:30-I mean working really hard I will glance out the window and catch the battle of the ages taking place.  Yes.  Squirrels vs. Crows.  

Across the street from the office I work in is a grassy plot of land with room to roam and a few trees to lurk in.  It’s like a mini-park.  Really, it’s just a piece of land that has not been built on yet.  I’m sure it’s just a matter of time.  But for now, it’s ground zero.

On a cool clear day like today the squirrels are out in full force.  I honestly don’t know how many of them dwell in the land across the street.  I have seen at least 8 at a time running around twirling their tails and doing squirrel things.  Today there are three, one watching and two covering the land.  And when I say covering the land I mean hopping about through leaves (I bet they going “boing boing boing” in their heads as they hop about) and chasing each other up and down trees to hop through more leaves.  All in all, very cute.

Then the crows descend.


That’s when the squirrels turn from chasing one another to full on assault on the crows.  Any spot the crows land, the squirrels charge at.  I have never seen a squirrel move so fast, and I have never seen a crow get chased of by something so small!  After about 3 minutes the crows give up and head for the skies again and the squirrels resume chasing one another.

I love mother nature’s drama!

No comments: