Friday, October 10, 2008

M'kay...

I was watching the news this evening and they were running a story on McCain. McCain was at a rally and taking questions from the audience. He hands an older woman the microphone and she says something to effect that she doesn't trust Obama. Because he's an Arab. Um...


I was absolutely dumbstruck. I couldn't believe that it was possible for a person to be that stupid and out of touch; but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Afterall, all one has to do these days is turn on the television to see how far we have fallen as a nation. We have become a nation filled with stupid, lazy, arrogant, and self-serving people. It is very sad and I truly fear for our collective futures.

Our government, sadly, is the very reflection of its people. Government of the people, by the people, for the people; remember that? Well, forget about the "for the people" part, because that philosophy has gone the way of the Dodo bird; but of the people? That part is spot on.

I honestly don't know what our future portends. I do believe that we have it in us to pull ourselves out of this mess. It will take discipline and something Americans haven't experienced in a long time: personal sacrifice. I am willing to do my part. Are you willing to do yours?

~David

2 comments:

James Thomson said...

McCain and Palin's recent campaigning has been more like mob riots than rallies. It's likely strengthening the base, but it makes people like me cringe.

It's a broad stereotype, but a good chunk of the religous right supports Republican candidates, like McCain. If they attended any of these recent campaign rallies (and I'm sure they did), I find it ironic that they either 1) engaged in shout-outs like "kill him [Obama]!" or 2) stood by and did nothing while someone next to them said them. I remember reading Jesus preaching peace and tolerance.

Maybe they're reading a different Bible than I did.

David said...

There is no bigger den of hypocrisy than religion in general and Christianity in particular.