Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Shit I Can't Believe I Deal With at Safeway: Express Lane Coupon Lady

Yes, it is again time to share another "Shit I can't Believe I Deal With at Safeway" story.  On this occasion I was just running into the store for a bag of ice.  I anticipated it would be a quick stop.  I walked into the store and got right into the express lane.  I was a little alarmed to see the store as busy as it was; there were several 'normal' lanes open with lines and there were two express lanes open, also with lines.  I got in the express lane that had the smaller line.  There were only three people ahead of me and thankfully they only had a few items each.  I was actually thinking how refreshing it was to be in a line where the people understood the concept of 12 items or less (or however many "or less" items it was).  Then all my patience and faith in my fellow shoppers was once again crushed by the inconsiderateness of one person.  Express Lane Coupon Lady ("ELCL").  

ELCL was in line with, I'm assuming, her husband.  They only had about 8 items.  First she told the checker she wanted plastic.  Than halfway through she told him she wanted paper, double-bagged.  To add to the fun, after almost every item she asked the checker if he had scanned in her Safeway club card, which he had done after he scanned in the first item.  After getting the club card and groceries scanned, and safely stowed in double-bagged paper bags she asked him two more times if he scanned in her club card.  He explained to her (for probably not the first time) how she could tell the card was scanned by looking at the screen.  She wasn't even listening to him at this point.  She turned away and starting digging in her purse.  I wasn't sure what she was doing, her wallet was sitting on the counter.  She finds what she was looking for. She whips out a coupon and says, "last time I was here you forgot to take this off and scan it."  He looked at the coupon for a minute and said, "I'm sorry ma'am, I'm not going to be able to help you with this" and he handed the coupon back.  "I'd like you to fix this, or let me speak to a manager" she said.

By this time the lines are starting to get even more backed up, there were at least eight people behind me. ELCL's husband looked around and urged his wife to drop it for now.  She told him to shut up.  The checker ducked out to speak with someone at customer service for a moment.  The checker came back and asks ELCL if she had her receipt with her.  She looked at him like he was an idiot and told him that it was from a week and a half ago and that she most certainly did not have it with her.  He politely told her he would need that in order to give her the credit because if he were to try to added it to her current transaction it wouldn't let him because she had not purchased the item this trip, so he would need to look up the transaction where she had made the purchase.  Bless this patient checker, he looked to see how backed up his lane was before turning to ELCL to apologize that he was unable to help her, that he was unable to do a search like that, and that she should speak to customer service.  ELCL was oblivious the the dark looks she was getting from the people in line behind her.  She got all snotty and said to the checker "I thought that's what the club card was for, so you could look up my past transactions."  It looked like the checker was just about out of patience.  The husband must have known because he was now trying to pull his wife away from the counter so the checker could take care of someone else (ME).  She thankfully relented, but grabbed at her purse in a manner that suggested she was not happy.  I purchased my ice and as I was leaving, noticed she was having a heated debate with the poor gal that was working customer service.

What a bitch.  Seriously, the coupon was for 30 cents.  I realize every little bit helps, and maybe they really needed that 30 cents... but she didn't have to be so rude and snarky about it.  And really, is the express lane the lane to do that in?  /end rant

No comments: